skip to Main Content

You are not alone. Here are some of your options if you’re experiencing domestic violence.

Option 1: Contact WAO
  • WAO Hotline: +603 3000 8858 (24 hours)
  • SMS/WhatsApp TINA: +6018 988 8058 (24 hours)

We can provide advice, explore your options, and/or schedule a face-to-face consultation with you. You can also access WAO services such as shelter and crisis support, by contacting the WAO Hotline or TINA.

Option 2: Go to the "One Stop Crisis Centre" at Government Hospitals

“One Stop Crisis Centres” (OSCC) are located at emergency rooms of government hospitals. At the OSCC, doctors provide medical treatment for any injury and also collect medical evidence, which can be used in court.
You can lodge a police report at the hospital if you wish to make one. The OSCC can also help you access police protection, shelter, legal advice, and counselling via the Medical Social Worker or Social Welfare Officer. It is, however, NOT mandatory to make a police report for domestic violence in order to get medical treatment.

Medical services at the OSCC are free for survivors of domestic violence and sexual violence. You should bring your IC with you to the OSCC.

Option 3: Obtain an 'Emergency Protection Order' from the Social Welfare Department (JKM)

An Emergency Protection Order (EPO) is an order issued by the social welfare (JKM) officer instructing the perpetrator to stop committing acts of violence towards you.

An EPO can be obtained at any time by calling Talian Nur (15999) which is available 24 hours a day, or by visiting the nearest JKM office. You should bring your IC and your child’s birth certificate (if applicable) with you to JKM. You do not need to make a police report to get an EPO. It will be valid for 7 days.

An EPO can be applied before obtaining an Interim Protection Order (IPO) or Protection Order (PO).

Option 4: Make a police report and apply for an Interim Protection Order at the police station

Making a police report

You can report any act or threat of violence.

You can make a police report in Bahasa Malaysia or English, either by typing it yourself at the police station or by orally dictating it to the police officer. You can also draft your report in advance. 

In your police report, write down the details of the abuse, such as what happened, when it happened (date and estimated time), where it happened, and who was involved.  Remember to get a copy of the police report.

If you don’t want to press charges but would like to document the incident, you can make a “cover report” instead of an “action report”.


Applying for an IPO

You can ask the police officer to start the application for an Interim Protection Order (IPO). IPOs are court documents which prohibit perpetrators from committing abuse and are valid throughout the police investigation. Spouses, former spouses or family members of perpetrators can apply for the IPO. (However, the IPO does not cover non-married couples.)

  • In your police report, state that you want an IPO. The IPO can also cover other family members, such as your children.
  • Get a referral letter from the police, which states that the police is investigating the case.
  • Go to the nearest Welfare Office with the police report, referral letter, and your IC.  Inform the welfare officer that you want an IPO.
  • The welfare officer will accompany you to the court to apply for an IPO.
  • The IPO is valid during the police investigation. Once the police investigation ends, and the case is charged in court, you will need to apply for a Protection Order (PO).

You can still make a police report even if you don’t have your IC with you. If you are unsure how to make a police report, you can contact the WAO Hotline at +603 3000 8858 or SMS/WhatsApp TINA at 018 988 8058.

Preparing to Leave Domestic Violence

Because violence could escalate when you try to leave, here are some things to keep in mind before you leave:

  • Keep any evidence of physical abuse, such as pictures of injuries.
  • Keep a journal of all violent incidents, recording dates, events and threats made, if possible. Keep your journal in a safe place.
  • Keep emergency numbers in your phone such as:
    • 999
    • the nearest police station’s number
    • WAO Hotline (+603 3000 8858)
    • WAO SMS/WhatsApp line, TINA (+6018 988 8058)
    • trusted family or friend’s number
    • You may want to save the WAO Hotline and TINA numbers under different names, to prevent your partner from discovering them.
  • Ensure there is sufficient credit in your phone. If you’re using a prepaid phone, keep some top-up cards with you.
  • Tell someone what is happening to you.
  • Plan with your children and identify a safe place for them, like a room with a lock or a friend’s house where they can go for help. Reassure them that their job is to stay safe, not to protect you.
  • Pack an emergency bag with important documents (either originals or photocopies), money, clothes and keep it somewhere safe. You can ask friends or family to hold it for you (avoid mutual family members or friends).

Make a plan for how and where you will escape quickly. If you have to leave in a hurry, here is a guide to what you need to bring.

1) Identification

  • IC
  • Driver’s license
  • Birth certificate and children’s birth certificates
  • Financial information
  • Money and/or credit cards (in your name)
  • Bank account books

2) Legal Papers

  • Protection order
  • Passport
  • Copies of any lease or rental agreements, or the deed to your home
  • Car registration and insurance papers
  • Health and life insurance papers
  • Medical records for you and your children
  • School records
  • Work permits/visa
  • Divorce and custody papers
  • Marriage license

3) Emergency Numbers

  • 999
  • the nearest police station’s number
  • WAO Hotline (+603 3000 8858)
  • WAO SMS/WhatsApp line, TINA (+6018 988 8058)
  • Family members’ and friends’ number
  • You may want to save the WAO Hotline and TINA numbers under different names, to prevent your partner from discovering them.

4) Other

  • Medications
  • Extra set of house and car keys
  • Valuable jewellery
  • Prepaid top-up card
  • Pictures and sentimental items
  • Several changes of clothes for you and your children
  • Emergency money
  • Change your locks and phone number.
  • Change your work hours and the route you take to work.
  • Change the route taken to transport children to school or consider changing your children’s schools.
  • Alert school authorities of the situation.
  • If you have a  protection order, keep a copy of it with you at all times, and inform friends, neighbours and employers that you have a restraining order in effect.
  • Consider using the address of a friend for your mail (be aware that addresses are on protection orders and police reports, and be careful to whom you give your new address and phone number).
  • Reschedule appointments that the offender is aware of.
  • Use different stores and frequent different social spots.
  • Alert neighbours and request that they call the police if they feel you may be in danger.
  • Install security systems if possible.
  • Inform people who take care of your children or drive them/pick them up from school and activities.

The ‘Preparing to Leave Domestic Violence’ section was adapted from: National Domestic Violence Hotline, United States of America, ‘Path to Safety’ <>


Back To Top