“NGOS FOR A VIOLENCE FREE COMMUNITY”
CALLS FOR POLICE PROFESSIONALISM TO STOP VIOLENCE IN KAMPUNG MEDAN
The NGOs for a Violence Free Community expresses its deepest condolences to the families of the victims of violence that has recently occurred in the Kampung Medan area off Jalan Kelang Lama, Petaling Jaya. We regret that innocent people, including women, children and the disabled are victims of this senseless violence.
We are outraged that the police force has not been able to quell the inter-ethnic violence in the Kampung Medan area. We are appalled that despite a heavy police presence in the area after nine days, the police force has not been able to stop the violence.
To stop the violence immediately we demand the police to:
- Ensure that all neighbourhoods, especially in the area, are well protected by the police.
- Effectively disarm all conflicting factions
- Prevent outside forces or individuals from fueling the conflict in the area
- Monitor the area vigilantly & proactively
- Exercise neutrality and professionalism
- Extend support to all victims of violence
We strongly urge the police force to act professionally and quell this violence immediately.
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM)
- Sisters In Islam (SIS)
- Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO)
- Persatuan Sahabat Wanita Selangor (PSWS)
- Pertubuhan Jemaah Islam Malaysia (JIM)
- Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan
- Manifesto Rakyat Initiatif
- ERA Consumer
- Federation of Malaysian Consumers Association (FOMCA)
- Malaysian Indian Youth Council
- Semparuthi Iyakkam
- Child Development Initiative
- Urban Resource Unit (URU)
- Front Anak Muda Untuk Demokrasi
- Community Development Centre (CDC)
- SUQIU Committee
- SCAH Civil Rights Committee (CRC)