by Coalition for Good Governance (CGG)
17 February 2009
Coalition for Good Governance (CGG)
c/o Pusat Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (Empower)
No. 13, Lorong 4/48E, Seksyen 4, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Tel: 03-7770 1475 Fax: 03- 7784 4978
The Coalition of Good Governance (CGG) is saddened by the intended resignation of Selangor EXCO YB Elizabeth Wong, as announced today, over what is clearly an attempt to tarnish her reputation as a responsible and committed State Assembly Representative and EXCO member.
The Coalition strongly urge that:
- Ms Wong’s resignation be REJECTED
- She continues to serve her constituencies and the people of Selangor who elected her
Ms Wong is the victim of a gross invasion of privacy and personal space. That she has received support from all sides of the political spectrum, shows not only the near-unanimity of condemnation of this act but is also testament to the respect and good will Ms Wong secured from not only her allies, but also her political opponents.
As a coalition concerned about democracy, human rights and good governance, we condemn the invasion of privacy that led to this resignation, and commend Ms Wong for the work she has done with the Coalition.
The Coalition wishes to put on record the good working relationship it has had since the formation of the Pakatan Rakyat government in Selangor, in particular Ms. Wong, who has given the oppportunity to civil society groups and the citizens to raise their issues to the state government.
We applaud her for being proactive, passionate and committed to the issues that matter to the people. Over the last year, she has chaired Task Forces set up on the environment, setting up of an Ombudsman for Selangor, an access to information legislation and the indigenous peoples’ rights.
We call for quick investigation into the police report lodged and that action be taken against the culprit who released the photographs.
The Coalition is fully committed to continue working with Ms Wong in her present capacities, and once again urge that her resignation NOT be accepted.
Coalition for Good Governance
- Academic of Tamil Study
- Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ)
- Center for Orang Asli Concerns (COAC)
- Citizen Think Tank
- Civil Rights Committee of the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH – CRC)
- Club Bell Belia Tamil
- Community Development Center (CDC)
- Friends of Kota Damansara
- Groups of concern citizen
- Jaringan Rakyat Tertindas (JERIT)
- Jaringan Kampung Orang Asli Perak (JKOAP)
- Jaringan Orang Asal SeMalaysia
- Malaysia Youth and Students Democratic Movement (DEMA)
- LLG Cultural Development Centre
- Persatuan Kebangsaan Hak Asasi Manusia (HAKAM)
- Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (EMPOWER)
- Persatuan Komunikasi Masyarakat (KOMAS)
- Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (PERMAS)
- Persatuan Sahabat Wanita Selangor (PSWS)
- Persatuan Semparuthi
- Sinui Pai Nanek Sesnzik (SPNS)
- Sisters in Islam
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM)
- The Annexe Gallery
- Tamil foundation
- Treat Every Environment Special (TrEES)
- Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO)
- Women Institute for research development and advancement (WIRDA)
- Workers organization Malaysia
- Writers Alliance for Media Independence (WAMI)
- Youth for Change (Y4C)